Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Goals to Action Newsletter: Are you a goal "hoarder"?

Rodger Constandse has posted an article I wrote during his last 28 Day Goal Achievement session as a series of newsletters. Here is a sample of part 1 (you can join the GTA newsletter to get the rest of the series)...


Are You A Goal Hoarder?

>>> NOTE: If you want a proven system that can help you get
organized, increase your productivity and make better use of your
time, you need to check out Achieve Planner:

--> http://www.effexis.com/AchievePlanner/

Hey there,

Today I have a treat for you. One of the members in the 28 Day Goal
Challenge wrote a couple of very interesting posts about the idea
of "Goal Hoarding" and he agreed to let me share them with you.
Today you'll get part one of the series, I'll send you Part 2 next
week. He is a recording artist and recently released an
inspirational rap/R&B album. You can learn more about him and his
album here (You get a special discount until August 7th):

http://rapoets.com/ManhattanNightSale.html


I hope you enjoy his article about "Goal Hoarding"...

Has anyone seen the television show "Hoarders"?

It's about people who keep a whole bunch of "stuff" in their house,
making it hard to move around, find things, and have other people
share the space with them. In many cases the homes become dangerous
obstacle courses, as well as extremely unattractive, and
unsanitary. I've noticed some STRIKING parallels to people who
don't accomplish goals (like my former self!), which I'll point out
in just a moment. But first, here are some recurring personality
traits of a hoarder:

Even though they haven't used any of the "stuff" in years, you'll
notice that the hoarders are EXTREMELY EMOTIONALLY ATTACHED to the
"stuff".



1. They only notice how dangerous and nasty the mess is when other
people are around.

2. They project human attributes on to the stuff, whether it's a
photograph, a dirty old teddy bear, or rusty piece of metal. So,
they respond to throwing out a piece of junk the same as a normal
person would respond to abandoning a small child.

3. They are so focused on "protecting" their "stuff" that they
often end up pushing away family and friends, in some cases
screaming at, ignoring, and ending relationships with loved ones,
after treating them like junk – while treating their junk like
loved ones should be treated!

So what's the similarity?

When I switched my challenge goal to creating an effective system
for selling shows, recordings, & merchandise, I also had to switch
my milestones.

The steps required to reach each milestone are simple and I KNOW I
WILL ACHIEVE THEM.

But... as I looked at my previous spreadsheet, I felt bad about all
the... "STUFF" I wouldn't get done – LOL! At that point I realized
that my slowness in achieving this goal was STRIKINGLY SIMILAR to a
hoarder's slowness in cleaning their house – wow – humbling!

I've created a list so anyone can catch themselves "Goal Hoarding",
as well as see how similar it is to the unattractive habit of
Hoarding old "Stuff"...



1. Hoarders only notice how dangerous and nasty the mess is when
other people are around.


I was always busy, and always had lots of "to do lists" of more
things to do, as well as records of all the interesting stuff I've
been doing. That let me know I was doing the right thing... even
though I WASN'T!

It was only when other people asked, "Where can I buy your album?",
"Do you have any videos of your shows online?", "When will you have
more clothes for sale?", and so forth, that I realized my busywork
wasn't getting results.

Keeping a list of your actual goals that you can look at every day
prevents you from using busy work as an excuse for goal achieving.

But a list of your actual goals should be a very short list. My
goal progress worksheet has 1 major goal for the month. It includes
1 Major milestone to reaching that goal each week. And finally it
includes no more than a few steps to take each week.

Each step is precise and can be measured with a "yes" or "no", such
as, "Did I store new album files securely online?" or "Did I write
a paypal script to download files after a verified purchase?"

So that's the difference between a Goal Progress Worksheet and a
To-Do List.

Think about it, a "Stuff Hoarder" has a house full of stuff that
they are absolutely sure they will use... but never do.

A "Goal Hoarder" has a To Do list full of activities they are
absolutely sure will get them to achieve their goals... but never
do!



If you are using a very long To-Do list, instead of a very short
Goal Progress Worksheet, the neurons in your brain are mostly
likely as disorganized as the "stuff" in a hoarder's home.

Stop Goal Hoarding!

Pull your major Goals and milestones of the month out of the To-Do
list hoards, and look at your Goal Progress Worksheet Daily. Don't
wait for someone else to interrupt your "busywork" and ask you
where you're major goals are hiding.

You'll get Part 2 next week. Here's some more information about
Rapoet:

The Rapoet appears (performances, lectures, and workshops) at
venues ranging from cafes to colleges, receiving praise from poets
like Alice Walker and MCs like Talib Kweli. Recently, he performed
at Yale University, hosted the Hartford Hip-Hop Festival with Rock
Steady's Crazy Legs, rocked the International Hip-Hop Festival with
KRS ONE, and completed teaching his 2010 Spring semester RapOetry
(positive self-expression) youth classes. He is currently teaching
a RapOetry Summer 2010 course, and releasing a new album.

Learn more about the album here:

http://rapoets.com/ManhattanNightSale.html


And if you want to join us in the 28 Day Goal Challenge, you can do
that here:

http://www.28DayGoalChallenge.com/signup/


Have a great week!

Rodger Constandse


P.S. Here's another resource that you might find helpful:

Is procrastination, indecision or lack of motivation holding you
back?

If you want to understand WHY you are procrastinating and discover
how to find the RIGHT strategies to overcome it once and for all,
you need to
visit:

http://www.GoalsToAction.com/EndProcrastinationNow/

No comments:

Post a Comment