Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

3 ways to prevent Hoarding... your Goals pt. 1

I've created a list so anyone can catch themselves "Goal Hoarding", as well as see how similar it is to the unattractive habit of "Stuff Hoarding" (this is part 1 of 3 posts)

1. Hoarders only notice how dangerous and nasty the mess is when other people are around.

I was always busy, and always had lots of "to do lists" of more things to do, as well as records of all the interesting stuff I've been doing. That let me know I was doing the right thing… even though I WASN'T! It was only when other people asked, "Where can I buy your album?", "Do you have any videos of your shows online?", "When will you have more clothes for sale?", and so forth, that I realized my busywork wasn't getting results. Keeping a list of your actual goals that you can look at every day prevents you from using busy work as an excuse for goal achieving.

But a list of your actual goals should be a very short list. My goal progress worksheet has 1 major goal for the month. It includes 1 Major milestone to reaching that goal each week. And finally it includes no more than a few steps to take each week.

Each step is precise and can be measured with a "yes" or "no", such as
"Did I store new album files securely online?" or
"Did I write a paypal script to download files after a verified purchase?"


So that's the difference between a Goal Progress Worksheet and a To-Do List. Think about it, a "Stuff Hoarder" has a house full of stuff that they are absolutely sure they will use… but never do. A "Goal Hoarder" has a To Do list full of activities they are absolutely sure will get them to achieve their goals… but never do!
If you are using a very long To-Do list, instead of a very short Goal Progress Worksheet, the neurons in your brain are mostly likely as disorganized as the "stuff" in a hoarder's home. Stop Goal Hoarding! Pull your major Goals and milestones of the month out of the To-Do list hoards, and look at your Goal Progress Worksheet Daily. Don't wait for someone else to interrupt your "busywork" and ask you where your major goals are hiding.

No comments:

Post a Comment