Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

3 ways to prevent Hoarding... your Goals pt. 3

I've created a list so anyone can catch themselves "Goal Hoarding", as well as see how similar it is to the unattractive habit of "Stuff Hoarding" (this is part 3 of 3 posts)

3. Hoarders are so focused on "protecting" their "stuff" that they end up pushing away family and friends, screaming at, ignoring, and ending relationships with loved ones, after treating them like junk – so they can treat their junk like a loved one should be treated!


Fortunately, I've never gotten so obsessed with busywork that I've broken up my family – thank God! But I did catch myself staying late at work for hours (more than once) when I could've been spending quality time with loved ones. I've caught myself being defensive when people ask why I'm not more famous, or why I don't have more videos on youtube. And I've seen some of my biggest fans get tired of waiting for me to put out an album.

There's no better reality check than the look of disappointment from someone who wanted nothing more than to tell the world how great your new project is… but never got the chance.

Maybe the most important goal anyone can achieve is to appreciate what they already have, including their friends, family, and the opportunity continue sharing a meaningful connection with them. The more busywork a "Goal Hoarder" does, the less quality time they spend with the people they love… the same people who probably want nothing more than to see you stop worrying about everything and be confident about one major project at a time.

(Celebrating with some of the youth who took my RapOetry class last semester)

So while a "Goal Hoarder" clings to an endless list of "important things", a "Goal Achiever" priorities spending time with important people. It's funny though, when the people around you feel cared for, all those extra details have a way of working themselves out anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment