Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Arts at CT Biz Expo in 4 Days!

Welcome to Part 4 of the

7 Days of counting down to the
CT Business Expo!

Yesterday's Post: Pay Attention <- click
Today's Artistic Tweetameter:

"While U wait 4 your business 2 succeed –
things go wrong – this is what U need 2 do instead of taking so long"

Now, as promised, here's the 3rd of 5

Secrets of How Successful Businesses…
use the same skills as Successful Rap Stars…
make customers feel the way Rock Stars make feverishly fanatical fans feel…
and get customers to view each product/service as a Priceless Master piece!


RapOet with Gobby, Billy, & Johny, winners of Community Renewal Team’s rap contest

Would you like to have hundreds or thousands of people buzzing about you?

As I reach more students through my RapOetry Workshops, and more fans through my live performances, and more DJs play my music (sending me up the independent Hip-Hop charts)… the more I meet “strangers” who tell me that they love my music, or they heard good things about my workshop. To be honest, it feels great!

But – as we did with the first 2 secrets…
to really understand what’s happening we have to ask some deeper questions:
1. How would it feel if every stranger I met told me they hated my music?
and 2. how would it feel if the students, teachers, fans, and DJs who actually listened and saw me perform live were the ones telling me they hate my music or my shows?

I don’t think it would feel too good.

But honestly, as flattered as I am with strangers receiving VALUE from my music; I don’t really worry about hearing negative criticism from people I’ve never met. On the other hand, I would be CONCERNED if those who actually listen and see me in person, weren’t getting anything VALUABLE from me.

In fact, I’m already CONCERNED about how I can provide more value to people who buy my music, even though the feedback has been great so far. (I’m grateful for the positive feedback from the Examiner, NPR, Rap Reviews, Performer Mag, MTV, Amazon, Rap Attack Lives, RapNetwork, Urban Busk, and so many others.)

Unlike amateur business people (and amateur artists), who only try to improve business when they are getting negative feedback, Business Rock Stars practice a Success Secret that you WON’T notice by looking at their product or service, but you WILL notice by looking at their progress from YEAR to YEAR…

We constantly ask how we can add more value to our products/services. We gradually (without rushing) align our business with HABITS that DEFINE us as the best.

So what’s the phrase of the day?

BE PROACTIVE!


Zuly rocking at our weekly RapOetry Workshop & Zulu 860 Open Mic

No matter how good your PERFORMANCE is,

And no matter how much you PAY ATTENTION to your customers,
Accidents, Mistakes, Emergencies, and Tragedies will sometimes occur.

When that happens:
1. Customers will notice whether you ignore the situation or adapt
2. Customers will stay with you, if you’ve impressed them in the past
3. You have an opportunity to make customers more loyal than ever before

Besides being a featured performer, I get booked to host a lot of “open mics”. During the average open mic, you’ll see someone take an extra long time to tell the DJ to change the beat, or fix their mic levels, after which they’ll complain about how they don’t know the song too well, after which they’ll forget half of the lyrics, and finally apologize.

But you’ll also see someone who’s got their beats ready, or even more impressive, can perform on any beat the DJ gives them, no excuses. These are the artists who later on become featured and paid to perform.

Besides being hired to help other artists with their performances, I also get booked by schools to teach students about self-expression. During the average class, you’ll see a student who doesn’t know what the homework was, doesn’t know what any of their teachers taught them earlier that day, complains about other students and teachers, and doesn’t know what they’re doing wrong as they continually interrupt the class.

But you’ll also see a student who’s got their homework ready, or even more impressive, can help the other students stay focused, before the teacher notices any distractions. These are the students who get higher grades and extra privileges.


my single with Mez & Young Cee is climbing the Hip-Hop charts

Here’s some real life examples of the 3rd Secret:

When I sent the mp3 of my song “Come On In” to DJs, they requested artwork to go along with it. Even though I didn’t have any, I modified the album cover as quickly as possible, and gave the DJs what they needed.

While at a restaurant, my son asked the waitress for a Cherry Dr. Pepper. She said they didn’t have it, but… she could create a mixture of cherries and Dr. Pepper. It turned out much better than the one’s you would buy in a store, and she got a great tip.

When my voicemail provider was no longer able to provide a number within my area code, they sent me an apology. Along with the apology, they offered me a significant cash credit on my account, AND a toll-free number at the same price I was paying for the local number! Needless to say I was impressed and am a loyal customer to this day.

There’s nothing more disappointing than seeing your team start out strong, get lazy, and lose terribly; and there’s nothing more rewarding than seeing your team triumph, when the odds seem impossible. So…

Don’t just become complacent after a good PERFORMANCE…
And don’t give up after a bad PERFORMANCE…
in either case…

BE PROACTIVE!

I think you get the point. And since you read this whole post, you get to watch a movie clip! It’s Will Smith in the “Pursuit of Happyness”, applying for a job against unusually difficult odds. PAY ATTENTION when he says, “If I don’t know the answer… I’ll tell you I don’t know… but I will find the answer

Apply the First Secret...
BEFORE the Second
Apply the Third Secret…
ALWAYS

Stay tuned for the 4th of 5

Secrets of How Successful Businesses…

use the same skills as Successful Rap Stars…
make customers feel the way Rock Stars make feverishly fanatical fans feel…
and get customers to view each product/service as a Priceless Master piece!


Follow us on Twitter:

Greater Hartford Arts Council @grHartfordArts
CT Business Exp @ctbexpo
RapOet @rapoet

No comments:

Post a Comment