Pages

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Arts at CT Biz Expo in 5 Days!

Welcome to Part 3 of the

"7 Days of counting down to the
CT Business Expo!"

Yesterday's Post: First Thing's First <- click
Today's Artistic Tweetameter:

"Time for CT Businesses to get da next lesson –
give the most valuable thing that a person can invest in"

Now, as promised, here's the 2nd of 5
Secrets of How Successful Businesses…
use the same skills as Successful Rap Stars…
make customers feel the way Rock Stars make feverishly fanatical fans feel…
and get customers to view each product/service as a Priceless Master piece!

Wouldn't you love a personal phone call from your favorite celebrity?

One of my personal favorites of all time is KRS-1. One night I found myself at Toad's Place, center stage with the mic in my hand, getting a roar of approval from KRS-1's sold out crowd... It all happened so fast (One moment I was home with no ticket - the next moment I was on stage with one of the greatest to ever touch a mic - what a blessing)!

The next day, when I called the number he gave me:

I began to speak, "This is Self Suffice the RapOet, I don't know if you remember me from the show last night, but..."

He interrupted me to say he DEFINITELY remembered me from the show, and let me know that I was really "ROCKING that crowd!"

I thanked him for noticing, and reminded him, "That means ALOT coming from YOU (one of the best live performers I've ever seen)"

Then he said something I'll NEVER FORGET...
something really important for any business person or artist...
He said, "I wouldn't just say this to gas your head up, you REALLY stood out!"


Although we truly do appreciate anyone who takes time to acknowledge our business/art, it means alot more when the best in the field is the one to NOTICE our talent.

A. But what if he had told me I sounded like everyone else, or if he B. replied, "Self who? No I don't remember you" or C. didn't give me the right phone number, D. didn't let me and Zee hang out back stage with him, or E. didn't let me get on stage at all? ? ? ?

On a day when I had no money to buy a ticket to go anywhere, much less a sold out show featuring my favorite MC of all time... I would've honestly been grateful to Zee for getting me in the venue for free, just to see KRS-1 (even if it was from the worst seat in the house LOL)...

Which is EXACTLY why getting to meet him, AND perform on stage with him, AND speak with him AND hear him praise my performance, was BEYOND a great experience. In other words...

the ATTENTION
he showed me (when he really didn't have to) made me even more of a loyal fan,
which is why 2 years later I'm still remembering - and telling you - how great he is.



Now if you thought this post was about how I PERFORMED well for KRS-1 at the RIGHT PLACE and TIME to get great feedback, more bookings, and more CD sales... you've mastered yesterday's Success Secret of Business Rock Stars, but not today's!

This is actually about KRS-1, not me (you'll see how ironic that is in a moment).

Sadly, I've seen the exact opposite scenario take place:
A fan buys an artist's music, saves up money to go to their show, drives to another state through harsh weather conditions, waits an hour or 2 for the artist who is running late, only to be A. denied access at the door due to dress code or B. left hanging by the artist when reaching for a handshake or C. told the artist will be skipping/canceling the show without giving so much as a general "Thank you" to everyone who traveled and paid to see them.

Needless to say, these people are no longer fans after an experience like that, and in cases where I've been the one to refer people to an artist's show, I've felt guilty for being the one to tell them about the artist in the first place.

Now back to KRS-1...

Although I was ready to give a great performance,
I only went to Toad's Place that night to Pay Attention
to an upcoming artist named Zee.

Although KRS-1's performance was another one of the BEST
I've ever seen in My Life, he took the time to Pay Attention
to my performance.

So...
although KRS didn't ask me to write about him, and may not ever read this blog, I'm spending my time, money, and credibility on making him the subject of this post.

You can't buy promotion like this no matter how big your budget is, but...

you
CAN
earn it
by(buy) Paying
ATTENTION

Unlike amateur businesses (and amateur artists), who are desperate to get a customer's (or a magazine's, or a celebrity's, etc.) attention, Business Rock Stars practice a Success Secret that you'll observe within all of their performances/products/services...

If they're a performer, they bring someone from the audience on stage.
If they're a painter, they paint someone (other than their self) in a cool way.
If they're a chef, they ask how you cook your own food, before they cook for you.
If they sell clothes, they mention how stylish you are, before suggesting outfits/accessories,
because...

Someone in the audience is funnier than the most famous comedian!
Someone at the art gallery is more beautiful than a super model!
Someone eating at the restaurant is a better cook than a celebrity chef!
Someone buying clothes is more fashion savvy than a name brand designer!
or maybe they are an amazing FLORIST, PARENT, ATHLETE, TEACHER...

There are many ways to be a "Rock Star" - just remember...
Customers are also Rock Stars who need you to improve their PERFORMANCE...
and the best ROCK STARS...
help other ROCK STARS PERFORM better!


But even if they're not amazing YET...
They will be one day - and they'll remember if your business was the first to NOTICE)

NOTE: the first secret (first thing's first) still applies, so make sure you have a restaurant BEFORE you focus on complementing people who are chefs; make sure your clothing designs are "sharp" BEFORE you attempt to flatter people who are well dressed; make sure you're the featured artist BEFORE you attempt to share the spotlight, etc. In "Moment of Clarity" Jay-Z asks rhetorically, "How can I help the poor if I'm one of them?" At almost every Hip-Hop show I attend, there's an unknown rapper who pitifully begs to get on stage with the featured artist (that's the WRONG ORDER). KRS-1 was already PERFORMING and getting excellent RESULTS, therefore... his use of the second secret (Paying Attention) was VALUABLE to me. Make sure you know the first secret BEFORE you apply the second.

For those who like pictures, here are some
PHOTOS of me applying the 2nd Secret <- click here


To Summarize the 2nd Success Secret of BUSINESS ROCK STARS:

People TALK ABOUT US, because they enjoyed...
the way we TALKED ABOUT (or to) THEM

Customers PAY MORE for our business, because...
we PAY THEM MORE...
ATTENTION

We are INTERESTED in professionals...
WHO FIND US INTERESTING

Apply the First Secret...
BEFORE the Second

Stay tuned for the 3rd of 5
Secrets of How Successful Businesses…

use the same skills as Successful Rap Stars…
make customers feel the way Rock Stars make feverishly fanatical fans feel…
and get customers to view each product/service as a Priceless Master piece!


Follow us on Twitter:

Greater Hartford Arts Council @grHartfordArts
CT Business Exp @ctbexpo
RapOet @rapoet

No comments:

Post a Comment